I am sitting here at the computer thinking alot about how much to say. This is a tough one. I suspect I’ll save it as a draft first and re-read it a couple of times before either trashing it or publishing it.
This is a real account of things I have to think about, find difficult to do, or just plain cannot do because of all the extra weight I have piled onto my frame.
I came up with 16 of some of things that fat people can’t do.
1) putting my socks on is difficult because I can’t bend enough.
2) ditto for tying shoes.
3) I don’t sit at booths at restuarants because I so often don’t fit… which means I have to arrive early and grab a table before the other people with me get there.
4) If there are more than two people travelling in a car, I try to grab the backseat for fear that the front seat belt might be too tight.
5) airline travel is a whole thought process and I will drive given the choice: I have to make sure I’m on an aisle. Hopefully there is an empty seat next to me (which I am usually able to negotiate with the people at the ticket counter). I get a seatbelt extension (interestingly this one doesn’t bother me at all). I have to arrange all my in-flight reading, etc. – because of the bending . I am worried about the tray table not being able to come down properly for lack of room (again that empty seat comes in handy, and they don’t do meal service on short hauls anymore). I often opt for business class becaue of the roomier seats, although the Air Canada cubicles aren’t the most comfortable.
6) I love swimming, but will not if there are other people around. Although I do suck it up at Black Butte because my friend’s young daughter loves swimming… but I do avoid the public hot tub.
7) I already mentioned the dancing thing.
I cannot ride a bike comfortably anymore.
9) Skiing? Forget it.
10) Even going to places like the PNE or other amusement parks aren’t as much fun. I love rides, but don’t fit.
11) Going to watch a hockey or football game is tough; again because of the seats.
12) Seats again factor in at the movie theatre.
13) Camping is off the table because of many of the above reasons.
14) Clothes shopping is it’s own private challenge – nothing off the rack fits.
15) My golf swing is impossible – and as a kid I golfed virtually every day – not any more.
16) I rarely have a relaxing bath because standard bath tubs are too small.
Well as you can see I did publish it. I know I will think of more things, so I will post those later.
There are a lot of reasons to release this weight. Maybe putting it down in black and white will help me remember more clearly the goal that is my optimal health.